Varieties of hosting solutions
A hosting service refers to keeping and/or sharing specific web content on a hosting server handled by a website hosting supplier. There are different types of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's have a peek at them. Thus, you can choose what you want, based on whether you wish to own a weblog, mail addresses, or to share files with pals and partners.
- File hosting: a service distributed by given file storage providers, which lets you share huge files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages are often supported by exhibiting ads beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a particular amount of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly inappropriate explanation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would share the workload between different hosts of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending miscellaneous web site hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a type of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some vendors provide a hosting service for images solely. This hosting variant is good if you would like to share a huge amount of pics with comrades or acquaintances since the solution is mostly free. You will obtain a random link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your e-mail aliases. Some corporations provide web hosting solutions for websites, but do not supply an email service. If you want to have an email address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can open mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip generates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with several video files and several hundred viewers, you may have a hard time with your webspace hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will enable you to use as many video files as you want to without bothering about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you need if you want to own a website. To some extent, it includes all of the aforesaid hosting kinds since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can set up databases and mail addresses, upload video files, etc. At Rai Hosting, for example, you can have a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that allow you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web space hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the common email/file/video/image hosting plans that are tailored for specific content only.